Sunday, January 31, 2016

Thinking About A Good Life


In my own experience, pursuing the good life has been a combination of several different philosophies. I am a practicing Catholic, and my faith is important to me in my daily life, both in what I believe and how I live. Though Camus would classify me a coward, I accept it wholeheartedly if being a coward means loving my fellow man and God and becoming the best human being I can possibly be; a well rounded. intellectual, traveled woman. The pursuit of reason and intellect, which is ultimately truth (which Aristotle theorizes is the highest purpose I can accomplish), is my PRIMARY purpose as a student for the next ten years of my life, as I hope to be a surgeon. My love for learning about biology and the human body is great, but during our class discussion last Thursday, I have since been questioning my current career path. I am passionate about the arts, especially drama, TV production, and chorus. Though I believe in the long run being a doctor will make me happy, right now being involved in chorus and drama (which pursuing financially would be frivolous nonsense) is what I find most fulfilling and what makes me happy. Should I merge with the chaos of the universe myself, as Watts would advise, and pursue the utter glorious nonsense that is the arts, or, pursue something that in the moment that is not significant for me, and thus set myself up for a life that is perhaps financially successful but personally unfulfilling? Either way, becoming a doctor or actress, neither is what my parents pursued in life, so I would definitely be creating my own story, which is what Machen wanted students to get out of learning about the ‘good life’ anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment