Monday, February 29, 2016

Constructing A Cultural Identity

I am a cradle Catholic. Ever since I can remember, my family has religiously gone to Sunday mass (pun intended) and to all of the holy days as prescribed by the church. All of the sacraments we received - First Communion, Reconciliation, Confirmation - took place in our home parish, Holy Family Catholic Church. The church has aged with us, grown with us. From being a modest parish in the ‘90s to the most successful Catholic parish in the Central Florida area, Holy Family has grown in its following and size while I was growing in my faith. Supplemented by countless youth group meetings, retreats, spiritual advisement, frequent reception of communion and Confession, and the example of my parents being active members of our parish, my love for the Catholic faith has grown exponentially over the years.

But Catholicism is only a part of what I consider to be my cultural identity. In addition to being a Jesus-lover, I can proudly say that I am an American, born and bred in the South and into a very patriotic family. Along with the American history learned in school, my dad used to read every night out of a 'this day in history' book and then quiz us on events, such as how the Boston Tea Party was organized, , the origin and evolution of the American flag and anthem, and why the South suffered as much as the North when Abraham Lincoln was killed. From the example of an uncle who is a Colonel in the Army, I have learned to appreciate and have a very grateful attitude towards our American military (and all militaries around the world) for the sacrifice of their lives and liberty for the safety of the rest of our nation.

On a daily basis, to the best of my ability, I continue to reinforce my cultural heritage by several means. Though I don't have as much time as I used to, and no longer live at home with my  patriotic Catholic parental units, I still make an effort to attend Sunday mass and frequently receive the sacraments. Just last weekend I attended a retreat held by the University of Florida’s Catholic Student Union, and had the opportunity for personal reflection and Confession. I also enjoy going to adoration (prayer in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament) with my boyfriend, who is Christian. My schoolwork is supplemented with reading 'this day in American history' from a blog I follow, and make an effort to attend Memorial Day and Independence Day services, and I often drag friends along with me to share in remembering and honoring  our American heritage by our presence at such ceremonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment